Friday 24 June 2011

Day 15

Day 15 was a planned off day as far as riding and we wanted to do the tourist thing in San Francisco.  It's an interesting time for my first trip to San Fran as this weekend is the largest public event they host each year, that's right it's the Pride parade! 

We hopped on the bike today and headed out from our hotel in South San Francisco and figured we'd start the day at Fisherman's Wharf.  We found a parking lot across from Pier 39 and $15 later we were on the way to enjoying our day.  Besides all the shopping at Pier 39 there is a bunch of Seals and Sea Lions that hang out on some old docks in the Marina.  We watched them for quite awhile as they are very entertaining as they fight for their spot on the dock.

Char and I debated which kind of tour we wanted to do and I was big on the Segway tour.  Char was concerned she wouldn't get the hang of riding one and I was a bit concerned about her having to be on her feet that long.

So instead of the Segway we opted for the open double decker bus tour.  It was a two hour tour that was worth every penny of the $20 per person.

Not sure what goes on here but I could possibly be convinced to check it out.

Apparently dryers and clotheslines are in short supply in Chinatown.

Pretty sure the dude in the shorts on the left is still frozen in place there since I was pretty much looking for warmer clothes at this point due to the ocean breeze.

Real estate is at a premium but a High School needs a football field even if it is artificial turf.

On the way back to the hotel we passed AT&T park and realized the Giants were at home, had I thought of it I likely would have considered taking in the game.

A few other notes;

I made reference to car chases and Divisadero street yesterday.  Our tour guide today mentioned that a bunch of the chase scenes in the classic Steve McQueen movie Bullit were filmed on Divisadero.

Char and I witnessed a tourist getting mugged today by a flock of seagulls.  The tourist had just bought lunch at one of the food stands on the pier and was walking towards a bench to eat.  A few seagulls started to buzz about his head and one went in for the goods and grabbed the basket of food, knocking it out of the tourists hand and onto the roadway.  from there it was a feeding frenzy while the guy stood there dumbfounded. I wish I could say I didn't laugh but It still makes me grin re-living it for this blog.

Mileage covered today was a modest 64.2 km of local riding bringing our total to 4699.1 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment