Monday 11 July 2011

Day 32

Day 32 started off with a trip to the local Kawasaki dealer Wheels Inc. in Fargo.  I figured I'd take advantage of the strong Canadian dollar and lower US pricing so I scheduled an appointment to have new tires installed before returning home. 

I showed up right at 9 AM store opening, was greeted promptly by the Service Manager who had made a note that we were on a trip and that I wanted our service first thing so we could be back in time to check out of the hotel.  At approx. 9:02 AM I handed over the key to the bike and wandered off to look around the showroom to see what would catch my eye.  At 9:38 AM I see the Service Manager walking towards me and the first thought is "oh great, what problem have we encountered".  Instead he hands me back my key and says, "you're ready to go."  I'm sure I had a look of shock on my face and I questioned him saying, "you know I wanted BOTH tires replaced right?"  He laughed and informed me they knew I wanted to be in and out fast so they double teamed the bike and had one tech doing the front tire at the same time another tech did the rear.  All that and the bill came in $22 bucks less than the agreed quote.  Needless to say if you need service work in Fargo, ND I would wholeheartedly recommend the folks at the Wheels Kawasaki/Suzuki/Victory dealership.

After some light shopping we hit the highway into strong headwinds.  Charging up I-29 at 77 mph into a big headwind dropped my mileage to shocking numbers even for my Nomad.

Like any good Canadian we had to stop before crossing the border for our Tax free alcohol.

After picking up our bottles at the Duty Free trailer it was off to get in line to return to Canada.  One benefit to returning on a Monday was avoiding the ridiculously long lines found on weekends.

We breezed through Customs and hit our last border sign of the trip, back to Friendly Manitoba.

We stopped just short of Winnipeg to rest our backsides and discuss just how bad Highway 75 is between Emerson, MB and St. Norbert, MB.  Over 10,000 KM covered this trip and the last 80 km into Winnipeg were exponentially the worst we had seen by far.

The next stop was home.  It was kind of bittersweet to arrive home knowing our adventure was over but it sure was great to see our wonderful son Troy and my faithful Black Lab Roxie after 32 days.

On our final day we covered 428.8 km giving us a grand total of 10419.6 km covered on our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment